Internship applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
Job Type: Full time
Location: Washington, DC
Reporting to the Chief Development Officer and Senior Vice President of Development, the Manager, Individual and Corporate Giving is responsible for managing the individual giving program for gifts between $1,000 and $24,999 and soliciting corporate gifts, sponsorships and memberships.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Friends of the First Amendment Society program
• Manage, expand and coordinate the cultivation and solicitation of a pool of individual prospects with an annual giving potential of $1,000 to $24,999
• Steward individual donors making gifts up to $24,999 annually, ensuring they receive the best customer service and fulfillment of the benefits, with the goal of maximizing gift renewals.
• Conduct visits to meet, qualify, cultivate, and solicit prospects for the Friends Society
• Partner closely with the marketing, exhibits, and program teams to implement promotions, partnerships and communications that cultivate gifts to the Friends Society
• Manage the Friends Council, a volunteer group, to assist in growing the constituent member prospect base and further engaging existing donors
• Update existing Friends services and materials so all information is current and accurate
• Research and incorporate leadership annual giving best practices into Newseum strategies
• Develop and manage budget lines for the Friends program
• Manage a portfolio of donors and prospects connected to the Chips Quinn Scholars program
• Maintain Friends database and files in a current and accurate manner
• Work with the Membership team to achieve smooth integration between the Membership and Defenders programs, the Friends Society and the major gift pipeline
• Work with the Senior Manager, Special Events to ensure that events are used to strategically advance the institution by engaging current and potential funders
Corporate Giving, Sponsorship and Membership
• Provide account management for corporate donors and prospects in support of the Chief Development Officer, especially in the execution of corporate partnerships
• Identify prospective event and program sponsors based on affiliation to related organizations and initiatives
• Solicit and steward sponsors for the annual Free Expression Awards and meet revenue goals
• Assist Senior Manager of Events with execution of events, particularly as it relates to donor and sponsor stewardship and recognition
• Work with Marketing and Senior Manager of Events to ensure proper event sponsor recognition
• Other duties related to the goals of the Development Department as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, with two to three years of development experience, preferably in individual or corporate giving
• Knowledge of cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies and techniques, particularly in the area of individual and corporate giving
• Demonstrated record of success in generating commitments from donors at the five-figure level
• Proven ability and success in proposal writing
• Demonstrated ability to take primary responsibility for diverse number of projects and to complete them in a timely manner with limited supervision
• Ability to maintain a high level of poise, reflecting the highest standards of professional conduct and integrity in all circumstances
• Superior written and verbal communication skills
• A work ethic that is self-motivated, reliable and detail-oriented
• A great team player who shows willingness to go “above and beyond” in order to help the Development Team reach its goals
• Excellent computer skills; Raiser’s Edge experience preferred
• A passion for the First Amendment
Please send your resume, a letter of interest and the names, contact information and affiliations of three references to: email@example.com.
The Newseum and Newseum Institute are Equal Opportunity Employers.