Internship applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
Job Type: Full time
Location: Washington, DC
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, Conference Services, this position is responsible for managing a large portfolio of private event rentals with a specific focus on DMC and wedding/mitzvah business.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Serve as primary point of contact for clients and event planners across various markets.
• Manage full life cycle of the event including initial inquiry, pre-production planning, on-site management, and post-event follow up.
• Provide guidance and direction to internal catering, technology, and operations teams. Translate client needs and vision across departments to guarantee that event team is focused on delivering the highest levels of hospitality.
• Lead high level events attended by VIPs, including government and White House officials, entertainment and cultural celebrities, as well as press.
• Manage all social business, including weddings and mitzvahs.
• Maintain ReServe event reservation software for department.
• Cultivate relationships with new and existing clients with an eye towards promoting repeat business.
• Promote the Newseum, Knight Conference Center and Knight Studio for special events by establishing excellent relationships with local meeting planners and vendors.
• Oversee execution of events to ensure that client’s needs are met.
• Seek feedback from events to improve client experience.
• Collaborate across the Newseum departments to develop best practices and streamlined processes for managing events.
• Collaborate with Newseum marketing department to determine best placement for advertising with a special focus on wedding industry.
• A minimum of 5 years of experience in organizing special events and handling large volumes of events across various sizes and types.
• Experience with the wedding industry.
• Strong multi-tasking and organizational skills.
• Must be comfortable working in high pressure environments where flexibility and attention to detail are imperative.
• Must be flexible in working long hours including early mornings, late nights and some weekends.
• Strong communication skills and ability to work with different types of clients to determine overall expectations for events, as well as budgetary constraints.
• Knowledge of travel industry, current market trends and economic factors.
Please send your resume, a letter of interest and the names, contact information and affiliations of three references to: email@example.com.
The Newseum and Newseum Institute are Equal Opportunity Employers.