Internship applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
Job Type: Internship (Unpaid)
Location: Washington, DC
Join the Newseum’s development team for an exciting and challenging opportunity! Interns at the Newseum are part of a dynamic work environment and participate in many engaging events and programs at one of the most popular museums in DC. Interns have the opportunity to work closely with a small staff, and are involved in a variety of museum projects.
Responsibilities, including but not limited to:
• Assist in planning and executing VIP, donor and member events.
• Support the membership and donor relations teams with payments and benefits fulfillment.
• Assist with the production of gift and sponsorship stewardship reports.
• Conduct research and assist with the organization and storage of prospect and member information.
• Help maintain an organized and comprehensive data filing, entry and retrieval system.
• Provide general department support.
• Bachelor's degree or current enrollment in a college or university as an upper-level undergraduate or graduate student.
• Familiarity with data systems and software programs: Microsoft Office, Raiser's Edge and searching resources (such as Google and Lexis-Nexis).
• Availability to help coordinate and prepare evening events.
• Coursework and/or demonstrated interest in one or more of these fields: journalism, computer or library science, museum studies, arts or business administration.
• Interest in fundraising and event planning.
• Ability to meet deadlines.
• Mature judgment, discretion and professionalism in communicating information and determining reliability of sources.
• Careful attention to detail and accuracy.
• Ability to work effectively in a diverse and fast-paced team environment.
Interns must be available at least 2-3 days a week, but scheduling is flexible.
Please send your resume, a letter of interest and the contact information for two references to: Newseum Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please attach materials as ONE document and label it LastName_FirstName.
For questions, please contact Kari Allegretto at email@example.com.
The Newseum and Freedom Forum Institute are Equal Opportunity Employers.
The mission of the Newseum, located in Washington, D.C., is to increase public understanding of the importance of a free press and the First Amendment. Visitors experience the story of news, the role of a free press in major events in history, and how the core freedoms of the First Amendment — religion, speech, press, assembly and petition — apply to their lives. Considered one of the most interactive museums in the world, the Newseum has seven levels with 15 galleries and 15 theaters. The Newseum also reaches millions of students through its robust offering of on-site classes and workshops. The Newseum is a 501(c)(3) public charity funded by generous individuals, corporations and foundations, including its principal funder, the Freedom Forum. For more information, visit newseum.org and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
The Freedom Forum Institute is the education and outreach partner of the Freedom Forum and the Newseum. The Institute includes the First Amendment Center, NewseumED and the Religious Freedom Center. The Freedom Forum Institute’s affiliate organizations include the Al Neuharth Media Center at the University of South Dakota; the Overby Center for Southern Journalism and Politics at the University of Mississippi; and the John Seigenthaler Center at Vanderbilt University. The Freedom Forum Institute is a 501(c)(3) public charity funded by generous individuals, corporations and foundations, including its principal funder, the Freedom Forum.