Internship applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
Job Type: Internship (Unpaid)
Location: Laurel, MD
Are you looking for an exciting internship that will provide you with the skills necessary to help you obtain full-time archival employment? If so, the Newseum’s Archival Internship at our Laurel, MD location is for you!
The Newseum, a revolutionary 250,000-square-foot museum that promotes, explains and defends free expression and the five freedoms of the First Amendment, offers visitors an experience that blends five centuries of history with technology and hands-on exhibits. At the Newseum, we pride ourselves on creating up-to-the minute exhibits and actively collecting modern and historic print news materials. As a Newseum intern you will work with our 40,000 piece historic print news collection at our support center in Laurel, Maryland.
Internship hours are flexible and can be arranged to fit individuals’ schedules. You will be a member of the small, dynamic Collections team and will be able to make an enormous contribution to the work we do. This is a wonderful opportunity to gain behind-the-scenes archival experience with one of Washington, D.C.’s most popular museums!
Intern responsibilities will include assisting the Print News Archivist with the following tasks:
• Processing and original cataloging of historic newspapers and magazines into the database
• Identifying, researching, photographing, and documenting important headlines and news stories to facilitate intellectual access
• Identifying newspapers that need repair and conservation
• Retrieving and re-shelving archival materials, including the frequent handling and carrying of oversized 20-40 lb. newspaper boxes
• Candidates should be currently enrolled in or recently finished a museum, library science, or archival-related graduate or undergraduate program, with an interest in collections/archival work, and knowledge of proper paper handling techniques
• Solid historical research skills and broad knowledge of U.S. and world history
• Excellent computer skills and accuracy in spelling and database entry
• Must be able to frequently lift and carry 20-40 lb. boxes and lift, reach, and bend with ease
• Must have dependable transportation to our Laurel, MD facility
Internships last for a minimum of 12 weeks beginning in mid-September 2018 and may be part- or full-time. This unpaid internship position is for college credit or experience only.
Please send your cover letter, resume, and two references to:
Newseum/Human Resources Department
The Newseum and Freedom Forum Institute are Equal Opportunity Employers.
The mission of the Newseum, located in Washington, D.C., is to increase public understanding of the importance of a free press and the First Amendment. Visitors experience the story of news, the role of a free press in major events in history, and how the core freedoms of the First Amendment — religion, speech, press, assembly and petition — apply to their lives. Considered one of the most interactive museums in the world, the Newseum has seven levels with 15 galleries and 15 theaters. The Newseum also reaches millions of students through its robust offering of on-site classes and workshops. The Newseum is a 501(c)(3) public charity funded by generous individuals, corporations and foundations, including its principal funder, the Freedom Forum. For more information, visit newseum.org and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
The Freedom Forum Institute is the education and outreach partner of the Freedom Forum and the Newseum. The Institute includes the First Amendment Center, NewseumED and the Religious Freedom Center. The Freedom Forum Institute’s affiliate organizations include the Al Neuharth Media Center at the University of South Dakota; the Overby Center for Southern Journalism and Politics at the University of Mississippi; and the John Seigenthaler Center at Vanderbilt University. The Freedom Forum Institute is a 501(c)(3) public charity funded by generous individuals, corporations and foundations, including its principal funder, the Freedom Forum.