Newseum Among 'World's 12 Coolest Museums'
WASHINGTON — The Newseum has been named one of the world's "coolest museums" by The (London) Sunday Times.
"Newseum is a £450m interactive playground, its seven levels cramming in two television studios, eight huge chunks of the Berlin Wall and the cabin where the Unabomber hid for 17 years while mailing lethal bombs across America," the Times said.
Twelve museums were selected. The other "coolest seats of learning" were:
- Darwin Center, London
- Science Museum, London
- Beamish Open Air Museum, County Durham, England
- Musee De Quai Branly, Paris
- Science Center Nemo, Amsterdam
- Vasa Museum, Stockholm
- In Flanders Field, Ypres, Belgium
- Kennedy Space Center, Orlando
- American Museum of Natural History, New York
- Australian National Maritime Museum, Sydney
- Zigong Dinosaur Museum, Dashanpu, China
The Newseum, which opened in 2008, was also the winner of Nickelodeon's 2009 Parents' Pick Award for best museum in Washington, D.C.